- A wide range of configurations including standard pumps to meet any specific application need
- Optimum hydraulic fit with high efficiency maintained over a wider flow range
- Exceptionally low Net Positive Suction Head Required (NPSHR) value not only at the best efficiency point but also on overload
- Maintenance-friendly features; excellent interchangeability of parts
- Horizontal and vertical constructions to allow flexible pump station designs
Clean water pump SMD for potable and treated water
Clean water pump with drinking water certificates
- Water abstraction
- Water transport
- Water treatment
- Water supply and distribution
- Irrigation, drainage and flood control
- District cooling / heating
- Double volute for all sizes with innovative cutwater for minimum radial load pulses
- Multiple hydraulics per volute optimized by Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- 360° bearing bracket with grease or oil lubricated bearings for 100 000 bearings life time
- Finned bearing bracket equipped with maintenance-free bearing isolators; fan cooling option for optimum bearing performance
- Dry shaft design
- Cooling fan in thrust bearing for heavy duty applications such as high speed, high ambient temperature, provides effective cooling without need of cooling water
- Connection for temperature and vibration monitoring instruments
Impeller wear ring
- Shrink fit and axially secured
- Offers additional impeller protection
- Reduced maintenance cost in heavy duty applications
Seal plan options
- Plan 11 as standard, with seal plans 31 and 32, with cyclon separator or with external flushing source
|Capacity||200 to 25'000 m3/h / 1'100 to 110'000 USgpm|
|Head||Up to 260 m / 850 ft.|
|Pressure||Up to 34 bar / 490 psi|
|Temperatures||Up to 140ºC / 280ºF|
|Discharge sizes||150 to 1'000 mm / 6 to 40 inches|
To meet the demands of the individual applications, the SMD benefits from a best-in-class hydraulic design that is combined with two specific mechanical envelopes:
- Standard SMD, focused on municipal water treatment, supply and distribution where typically a higher level of standardization is required, allowing the most cost effective solutions and shortest lead times.
- Configured SMD combines standardization and modularization to offer a number of configurable options to meet the most common requirements of the water abstraction, transport and desalination industries.
- With grease lubricated thrust bearing at the drive end and product lubricated proven design bearing at the non-drive end
- Interchangeable casing with the horizontal arrangement
Tapping into pump engineering expertiseMaking clean, safe drinking water widely available is one of human society’s greatest priorities. 90% of the world’s population currently has access to at least a basic source of potable water, and 71% of people enjoy a managed supply of clean water to their homes. With the aim to further increase availability while controlling costs, utilities are continually investing to expand, upgrade and improve their networks, operations and maintenance processes.
Upgrading a 100-year-old pump installation in New OrleansMarch 09, 2021Finding just the right pump for an application can be quite a challenge, especially when the building presents several constraints and there is an unusual electrical supply. Sulzer took on this challenge in New Orleans and updated a near antique installation with the latest in pumping efficiency and reliability.
Case studiesWherever fluids are pumped, mixed, controlled or applied, we are there. See how our solutions create value for customers and learn how we can make your pumping and mixing processes more efficient and profitable, safeguarding your production and ensuring lasting reliability.
Cooling water pump (CWP) for biomass wasteCooling water pumps for biomass firing applications are typically horizontal axially split or end suction type. Vertical turbine type pumps are also available when required.
Cooling water pump (CWP) for gas-firedCooling water pumps (CWP) provide the fresh water to cool the exhaust steam in the condenser and pump it back to the wet cooling tower or the outlet of open cooling system. The major characteristic of the CWP is their high flow. In medium to large size gas-fired combined-cycle power plants, the CWP are vertical column type. In small power plants, the CWP could also be horizontal axially split type.
Cooling water pump (CWP) for geothermal plantsSulzer offers a variety of cooling water pumps, all made to provide your processes with the optimum temperatures for your processes. Installed in a water cooled condenser, the pumps will be active for your specific process.
Cooling water pump for coal- and oil-firedCooling water pumps (CWP) provide fresh water to cool the exhaust steam in the condenser and pump it back to the wet cooling tower or the outlet of open cooling system. The major characteristic of the CWP is their high flow. In medium to large size coal- and oil-fired power plants, the CWP are vertical column type. In small coal and oil captive power plants, the CWP could also be horizontal axially split type.
Cooling water pump for heliostat central tower with direct steam generationCooling water pumps (CWP) provide fresh water to cool the exhaust steam in the condenser and pump it back to the wet cooling tower or the outlet of open cooling system. The major characteristic of the CWP is their high flow. CWP are vertical column type. In small plants, they can be horizontal axially split type.
IrrigationWe provide pumps for the water supply for gravity and pressurized irrigation systems. For these applications, we offer vertical and horizontal pumps that are especially constructed to highly challenging pumping and energy efficiency requirements.
Multi Effect Distillation MEDMulti Effect Distillation (MED) process is based on iterative evaporation-condensation process in several stages under vacuum conditions, using residual steam from adjacent power plant as heating media for evaporation.
Municipal clean water supply and distributionGetting drinking water to all parts of a distribution network involves many challenges along the way. From the water treatment plant through pumping stations and beyond, Sulzer pumps lift and move the drinking water to bring it to its destination at sufficient flow and pressure.
Municipal clean water treatmentWhen planning new water treatment plants or upgrading existing ones, operating costs are as important as investment costs. Sulzer’s innovative pumps, mixers and compressors combine reliable treatment performance with superior energy efficiency.
Pre-treatmentBefore reaching the RO Island, where specifically the desalination process will take place, raw water needs to be treated to ensure the required quality of the raw water to avoid fouling the RO membranes.
Product water transferAfter post treatment, product water is pumped to the storage tanks or into the water distribution networks.
RO-Island HPP 2nd passThis is the heart of the SWRO desalination process, where the desalination effect takes place. The treated sea water is fed by means of the high pressure pumps into the RO membranes, obtaining permeate or product water and high pressure brine rejection, whose high pressure energy is recovered by selected Energy Recovery Device.
Water intakeRaw water to be desalted, either sea water or brackish water will be taken from natural resource and pumped to pre-treatment stage. For sea water abstraction, different intake arrangements can be considered, which will define the pump type to be installed.
Water transportationWater transport pumps are pumping large volumes of water over mostly long distances and high geodetic heights to geographical areas or industries where it is required for different purposes. We offer various configurations according to your needs.
The SMD pumps are certified with the NSF 61/372 certification. In the certification process, the pump has gone through a variety of testing to ensure safe pumping of drinking water.
The SMD pumps are certified by ACS. The certification ensures that the pump is approved for pumping potable water.