Understanding the importance of maintain your generators
Preventive maintenance is essential for keeping your equipment running safely and reliably. Many generators will not display signs of failure until the system is unable to run when there is a power outage. making total loss of power more likely. Regular preventive maintenance provides visibility to the engineers, allowing them to diagnose faults with your generator and resolve them before they can cause any disruption to your operation.
As well as facilitating the repair process, preventive maintenance can prolong the lifespan of your generator. Generally, systems that aren’t regularly maintained have shorter lifespans and are subject to regular costly repairs. In some cases, you may have to replace the entire unit, a costly process to any business. You can increase the cost efficiency of your operation by taking care of your existing investments rather than purchasing a new generator. Keeping your system properly maintained ensures that it runs smoothly for longer, ultimately saving you time and money.
Our comprehensive generator repair solutions
Over time, the key components of your generators wear out and need to be repaired. We offer a complete repair service to generators from all manufacturers with anywhere from 2 to 48 poles, and with power output levels from 500 kilowatts to 400 megawatts. Our expert knowledge and responsive services provide you with the peace of mind that your equipment will perform as required, when required.
- Site maintenance, overhauls and inspections
- Dismantling, inspection, and reassembly
- Stator winding, repair, reinsulation, or replacement, either in our workshops or on site
- Supply of stator coil and winding kits
- Rotor winding, repair, reinsulation, or replacement, either in our workshops or in the field
- Controls, protection inspection, and upgrade
- End bell and wedge inspection
- Condition monitoring
- Redesign to improve efficiency or increase output
- Inspection of structural components via Non-Destructive Testing (NDT)
- Refurbishment of white metal/babbitt bearings
- Overspeed balancing and testing
If a machine should fail, or testing deems that a rewind is necessary, then Sulzer have four UK facilities that rewind HV machines. The formed coils would be manufactured in our Birmingham coil shop using fully annealed in-house produced copper. The coils are manufactured using modern machinery and fully tested to BS and IEC standards. Above 6kV we use resin rich technology which means the coils can be fully tested prior to being sent to the winding location. The coils are wound into the stators, during the rewind full electrical checks are performed at key stages to ensure no interturn or ground faults exist.