Tapping into pump engineering expertiseMaking clean, safe drinking water widely available is one of human society’s greatest priorities. 90% of the world’s population currently has access to at least a basic source of potable water, and 71% of people enjoy a managed supply of clean water to their homes. With the aim to further increase availability while controlling costs, utilities are continually investing to expand, upgrade and improve their networks, operations and maintenance processes.
Case studiesWherever fluids are pumped, mixed, controlled or applied, we are there. See how our solutions create value for customers and learn how we can make your pumping and mixing processes more efficient and profitable, safeguarding your production and ensuring lasting reliability.
MSD-RO axially split multistage pump
Our high pressure solution for desalination applications
The MSD-RO is the result of Sulzer’s experience in supplying high pressure pumps for large SWRO plants worldwide, with a total of 2.5 million m3/d installed capacity. It is a two stage, split casing, single suction pump, mainly for high pressure membrane feed in SWRO desalination applications.
MSD-RO is a two stage in back-to-back arrangement, axially split casing, single suction pump which has been developed mainly for high pressure membrane feed in Reverse Osmosis (RO) desalination applications.
Innovation has been at the center of the MSD-RO development. As a result, the MSD-RO pump benefits from:
- A significantly more compact arrangement of the pump hydraulics
- Top class efficiency according to market needs
Main technical features
- Hydraulic configuration with two single suction impellers offers a compact design, with extremely low NPSH values and top of its class efficiency
- Special opposed, dynamically balanced impeller design for ideal axial thrust balance, increasing the overall pump efficiency by avoiding the use of balancing line
- Single, balanced, cartridge mechanical seal. Option for API 682 mechanical seal is available
- Sleeve journal and duplex angular contact thrust bearing as standard. Sleeve journal and pivot shoe thrust bearing with force oil lubrication system is available
- Robust split flanges based on heavy duty API standards
- Reduced wear parts clearances by using PEEK or honeycomb, to increase pump efficiency.
Up to 1,600 m3/h / 7,000 US gpm
Up to 650 m / 2,150 ft
Up to 90 bar / 1,305 psi
Up to 60°C / 140°F
Maximum speed of rotation
Up to 3,600 rpm
RO-island HPPThis is the heart of the SWRO Desalination process, where the desalination effect takes place. The Treated sea water is fed by means of the High Pressure pumps into the RO membranes, obtaining permeate or product water and high pressure brine rejection, whose high pressure energy is recovered by selected Energy Recovery Device.
Original Sulzer pump spare partsOriginal Sulzer pump spare parts ensure optimum pump performance. They are more than a simple ‘new for old’ replacement and can substantially improve the performance of your equipment.