- Replacing a locally made pump with a short lifetime (about three months)
- Getting a longer lifetime of the wetted parts (one year) at a reasonable price
- Finding the final solution after three trials
AHLSTAR WPP pump in fluorine salts production
Flexibility in design to meet customer requirements
- Fluorine salts production is a part of the phosphoric fertilizer process.
- The manufacturing process has two steps of absorption – an important part of the process.
- The pumped liquid is very difficult – it is both corrosive and abrasive. The temperature is high, too, and some cavitation is also present. The solids amount is high. The particles are fine, but they are very abrasive. The solids are partly SiO2.
- A combination of many factors is present.
The Sulzer difference
Sulzer Pumps is committed to supporting our customer’s competitiveness and profitability. We have a proven track record of design innovations creating reliable, safe and energy-efficient products. Combined with a professional approach, it brings positive results.
|Pump data||Process data|
AHLSTAR WPP44-150, open impeller, dynamic seal
|Original ser. no||100008720||NH4F||up to 700 g/l|
|Later delivered ser. no||100098624||Temperature||90 °C|
|Material||EH (4L HB300)||Solids||450 g/l|
|Capacity||90 l/s||Solids size||20-40 mkm|
|Head||45 m||Density||1400 g/l|
- At first, Sulzer selected the AHLSTAR WPP wear resistant pump with open impeller in the 4U material and with the Dynamic Seal.
- The pump operated for about a year; after which it was worn out heavily with extensive abrasion discovered.
- After examining the affected surfaces of the wetted parts, it was decided to try the 4L material in order to get a lower cost of the pump. About the same lifetime was achieved.
- Finally the longest lifetime was achieved by using the EH (hardened 4L) material (300 HB hardness).
- The best possible combination of pump type and pump material was found after several trials.
- As a result, an optimum solution between the price and lifetime was found.
- More pumps were ordered for the same application.
AHLSTAR A process pump rangeAHLSTAR A end-suction single-stage centrifugal process pumps are used for demanding industrial applications to ensure process reliability, high efficiency and low operating costs. The pump exceeds the requirements of ISO 5199.
AHLSTAR APP/T process pump rangeAHLSTAR APP/T end-suction single-stage centrifugal process pumps are used for demanding industrial applications to ensure process reliability, high efficiency and low operating costs. The pump exceeds the requirements of ISO 5199.
AHLSTAR EPP/T high-temperature process pump rangeAHLSTAR EPP/T centerline supported end-suction single-stage centrifugal process pumps are designed to stand high temperature especially in demanding industrial hot liquid pumping applications. The pump exceeds the requirements of ISO 5199.
AHLSTAR NPP/T non-clogging process pump rangeAHLSTAR NPP/T non-clogging end-suction single-stage centrifugal process pumps are designed for industrial large solids containing liquid or abrasive slurry applications to avoid plugging. The pump exceeds the requirements of ISO 5199.
AHLSTAR WPP/T wear-resistant process pump rangeAHLSTAR WPP/T wear-resistant end-suction single-stage centrifugal pumps are designed for abrasive and erosive pumping applications, such as lime milk and mud, and coating pigments. The pump exceeds the requirements of ISO 5199.
AHLSTAR LSP/T end suction pumpAHLSTAR LSP/T end suction two stage low speed high pressure pumps are ideal for use in demanding industrial applications to ensure process reliability, high efficiency and low operating costs.
FertilizersOur pumps, mixers and agitators provide durability and reliability for fertilizers production as well as for corrosive and abrasive liquids and high gas content. Our specific industry experience also includes separation processes and servicing of pumps, compressors, turbines, and motors.
Sulzer Pumps Finland Oy